The Lodge Christmas Spiced Beef
5-6 lbs Topside Beef
3 oz. Brown Sugar
1/2 oz. Salt Petre
4ozs Sea Salt
1 oz. Black Peppercorns
1/2 oz. Allspice Berries
1/2 oz. Juniper Berries
1. Rub the beef all over with brown sugar and place in glazed earthenware bowl in fridge for 2 days (cover).
2. Grind all other ingredients together, a coffee grinder is ideal as it gets a fine mix.
3. Rub the mix thoroughly into the beef every day for 9 days. Keep covered in fridge.
4. Wipe off surplus mixture with kitchen towel, place in heavy bottomed deep saucepan and cover with 1/2 pint of water. Cover with 3 layers of kitchen foil and cook in slow oven 140 degrees C or 275 degrees F for 5 hours.
5. Leave to cool for 3 hours, then pour off liquid and wrap in tin foil.
6. This keeps for 2-3 weeks and is best cut very thinly.
7. Ideally served with The Lodge Horseradish Mustard.